Sunday, May 8, 2011

12 Days Out

As I am really into blogging, I thought I would chronicle my experience when I go to Montreal for Canadian Team Trials. This tournament is for any bowler in Canada, any age; competing to make Team Canada. I went last year as an 18 year old, attempting to qualify for the youth team. I came one spot out. It was one heck of an experience and this year's will be so much more so. I want to be able to remember this experience and I also want to share it with anyone who wants to tag along.

The reason why this is going to be a memorable experience (besides the obvious of it being an elite tournament), is that it is going to be in Montreal, a hot bed for bowling in Canada. Possibly half the competitors will be from Quebec and Ontario, and I better mention that bowlers from this part of the country are probably some of the best. Last year this tournament was held in BC, too far for those bowlers to travel so it wasn't so much a big deal. There was maybe 100 competitors. This year? They are projecting 210 PLUS..!!!!!! It's going to be INSANE!

I'm also going to have a lot of friends with me this year. I became closer to some of the youth bowlers in Edmonton so I'm looking forward to having people to hang out with when we're not bowling, instead of spending all that time with my mom.

One thing about this year, I am not eligible for the youth team anymore. At first I was somewhat outraged, I would have had a VERY good chance of making the team if I could be one year younger (or even just a few months). But now I realize this is a golden opportunity for me. There's no pressure to win, or to place in any particular position, but to just do my best and see where I sit compared adults who have been bowling in this tournament for years. Remember; I'm somewhat a late bloomer, and I only found out about this tournament last year. Alberta qualifies the top 2 youth (x2 for 2 tournies) and top 2 or 4 adults, to go and gives them $1000 for it. Everyone else who wants to go is on their own. No other province offers money to their top bowlers to go. I've been fortunate enough 2 years in a row now to place top 2 in the one tournament to get that money. Otherwise I never would have gone last year and gained the invaluable experience that I did. So all in all, this tournament will just help further my development as a bowler and increase my experience with big game situations. The nerves will probably be going for sure, just seeing the competition and knowing that I could possibly be way out of my league will be instrumental for next year's quest of qualifying for Nationals. I only have 2 years left to do it!!

Now for the reason of why I have started so soon. Well, currently it is the YBC Nationals in Regina. I came in 2nd for qualifying to represent Alberta. I'm following the scores, which just makes me antsy to bowl. I've been practicing a bit lately, as I should be, and just all that combined makes me really anxious about bowling, I just want to go every day. Those are the moments I love, having an extreme passion for something just thrills me when I actually realize it. So I'm definitely getting excited for it. I just wish I had Nationals as well, I love bowling so much! I guess this is just something to help subdue my excitement for it to come, it's still a fair ways away, and also it gives me something to blog about. I'm ALWAYS looking for something to blog about :)

I hope that whomever follows this will be either entertained, informed, captivated, etc. I want to share my experiences but also to share my enthusiasm about this sport, and hopefully that can transfer to your own enthusiasm about something.

I will also be sightseeing in Montreal after the tournament is over so I will be writing about the sights and I will also post some pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment