Monday, March 26, 2012

Sparing

Instead of my usual practice, I was a sub for someone in the adult league. I was looking forward to it so I could sort of redeem myself from Saturday's league results, or at least make me feel better about myself.

Well it worked. Ted had wanted me to try cupping my wrist all night long, but I just don't have the strength to do that, to throw a good ball over and over, so once we started our game I said enough with that. I then proceeded to throw a 196, 189, 179, 169. Ya the scores went down, but honestly I was throwing a better ball by each game. The oil was starting to break down by the end of the 3rd and by the 4th, I just didn't have enough time to make the right adjustments. I finally had it all in place by the 10th frame.. drat! At least I was above average, 183!

Once thing about the Monday league is that it's scratch. You have 3 bowlers on a team, labeled A, B & C. The best bowler is A and C is the worst. I was sparing for the B bowler. So each player is against, the other same labeled player on the other team. For example B bowls against B. Whoever wins gets 2 points for the win, same with the other players, and then there's another 2 points for the team with the highest total.

Tonight I just so happened to be bowling against one of my coaches, Brian, who is also my teammates Dad. He usually gives me a hard time with stuff, and he actually gets on my nerves a lot, because he basically always tells me the same thing - stay behind the ball. But I can't just do it at your command!! I've been bowling this way for many years, it doesn't just go away. And he always makes these jokes about how if we miss something or get a brooklyn, he's go "I would have gotten that". It gets old now. So I definitely wanted to beat him tonight. I beat him 3 out of 4 games, and only lost to him by 1 in the last game. So ha.

One thing though.. I have respect for coaches who can actually throw high games, it shows they obviously know what they are talking about because they can apply it to themselves. Now Brian and I have basically the same average. He doesn't look like a very good bowler, BUT he is a pretty old guy and has knee trouble and maybe even joints in the hand problems. So I can't be too judgmental about that. BUT the fact that I beat him tonight kind of makes me want to tell him to shove it the next time he tries to "help".

On a side note, I kind of really feel bad for Chelsey. She bowls full time in this league, and the past few weeks I've seen her just tear it up, averaging over 200. To do that in league and then to come out to a provincial tournament and average only about 180 must hurt. She definitely needs to get her head space figured out for those tournaments. She just wants to win SO badly that it just consumes her and affects her game. She really is an incredible bowler, and if she was as cool & nonchalant in big tournaments as she is in league, I would have no chance, she would be right up there. But, alas, life doesn't work that way. Too many times do really good players bomb in tournaments because their head games aren't anywhere near their physical game. I also realized this today of Summar, 3 years post-youth. Incredibly good in league, but I beat her in World Cup this year, and last year at CNCs. Man, if I could only get my physical game where theirs are... I would be scary good! Actually I'm pretty sure Ted had said that once; that people would be scared of me.. But I don't know when or if that will ever happen. I might decide to work at it every week in the summer - if possible. But I would need Ted or Dan to help me out. Once again, we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment