Monday, March 12, 2012

ATPA Scratch Qualifier

Yesterday in Calgary was my last chance to make a national championship tournament for the year. This was for the CNCs, the Canadian National Championships - Team Canada Trials.

Now when I talk about qualifying, it doesn't mean you have to win or else you can't go, it's just that the Alberta Ten Pin Association won't give you $1000 towards the tournament.

So for youth, there's actually two ways we can qualify. The Alberta Youth Scholarship that was held in about November or so. The top 2 boys and top 2 girls get the money. Then there's also the ATPA qualifier. It's a more difficult tournament though because it's also the qualifier for the adults. Same as with the other tournament, the top 2 boys and top 2 girls qualify. For the adults it's top 4 men and top 4 women.

Since the youth tournament had already been held, I really had no one to compete with. It's quite a competitive tournament so unless you're "experienced" (when it comes to youth at least), you're not going to find many people trying to go. As a result I was up against 2 other girls, a 16 yr old and an 18 yr old. I had to beat only one of them. But I know these girls and they aren't the greatest bowlers so I wasn't worried.

I started off great with a 211 but after that I kind of fell off, I was somewhat consistent but the shot they put down was kind of weird. Not necessarily difficult, but different I guess. And after 5 games it really dried up quick, adding to the challenge, meaning balls hook a lot more with less oil, and we still had 5 to go.

Game 7 I lost my switch grip. It somehow fell out of my ball and they couldn't find it in the pit behind the pins or in the ball return. Greeaaat.. But at least I came prepared and brought another ball that doesn't need the switch grip. Or else I'd have to use someone else's and cram a shit ton of tape in there to get it to fit my thumb.

In the end I can't really take a lot of this tournament besides the $1000 and the fact that I ended up throwing a really good ball. It hard to feel good about your scores when ALL the scores all low, but I guess in comparison to others you see you still did well. It just doesn't really feel like it for some reason.. But anyways, I ended 120 pins or so up on 2nd place.. yeah.. haha. Either way, I'm just glad I got that money!!! I'm super stoked for the end of May now. I think it takes place about the17th-20th in Toronto.

So I'll be going to the pro shop and complaining about losing the switch grip (maybe faulty installation??). Then end of April I'll get a new ball (hopefully I win one from the year end banquet, but if not, it'll be an early birthday present from my parents).

Now to spend next to no money and hopefully find a job that will begin Beginning of May and will let me take that time off!!

Now it's just normal league which ends end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment