Sunday, March 25, 2012

Saturday Youth League

Bowling hungover is the worst. And yesterday wasn't the worst I've ever been. But because of that I felt totally out of it and bowling wasn't much fun. I couldn't make very good shots, the ball just didn't feel good in my hand. I was consistent enough at least I suppose, but the scores weren't near where I wanted them to be. I averaged 170 with a high of 180. My average is 182, but will drop once again.

I decided to stay after league to practice; why not? I didn't feel like going home to just sit around. Ted also stayed and we got some good work done. One of the things to note that we worked on was a two handed release. I had a lot of trepidation to do that (if you don't know what that looks like, google Jason Belmonte). Compared to the "normal" way it just seemed like it would be really difficult to change.

I was surprised to discover it wasn't!! Of course I look nothing like Belmonte, I have way less power going through the ball. It was also a nice break on my thumb - because of the use of the second hand, there's no need for the thumb to be in the ball to be able to hold onto it, thus you get waaay more rotation and rpms on the ball.

The purpose to get me to do that was to get me extending further over the lane, to end up with more fingers and less thumb. Or at least that's what I felt I got out of it. Now I'm kind of thinking I might like to actually change completely to that style, but we'll see. Ted and Dan had been talking about doing that actually; I think they were only ever half serious, but the fact that Ted got me doing that and then probably went to tell Dan about it, tells me it was more serious an idea than I thought.

So overall it was a great 1.5 hrs of practice and my arm is still sore today. Next up is sparing for the adult league (as in subbing for someone) so I can't practice, but I'm still going to go for the start of practice and warm up, maybe chat with Ted about what he wants me doing coming up soon. We've decided to give me a few weeks to see where I can get in maybe changing things, before drilling some new balls. I need at least 2 weeks to break in new stuff so I have about 3 weeks to figure stuff out.

So while all this sounds very promising for the future, it doesn't make me feel good about CNCs. I think it's really going to throw me off, there are so many different things that I've been trying, that I don't know what to do to be at my optimal best. But at least I'll have those 2 weeks to settle into "normal", I'll ask Ted to come out or even Dan if Ted is busy. Even though I know I can't win, I still want to show everyone that I am a force, and that they should be watching out for me in the future..

No comments:

Post a Comment